Are you scared of the new strain of swine flu?

@dragon54u (31636)
United States
April 25, 2009 7:55am CST
I'll say right now that I looked this up and there were no discussions on the swine flu. I'm sure when I post this, I'll see dozens! My apologies ahead of time! This really should be in a "conspiracy" category. Because I don't believe that this strain is a naturally occurring mutation. Come on, 3 flu viruses merging? And in Mexico, right next to us? I smell a rat. Does the swine flu scare you? Are you taking precautions to avoid getting it? I heard a doctor say that Tami-Flu is effective to treat it but there are some people dying from it. What steps will you take to avoid it? Do you think it's a biological attack?
7 people like this
20 responses
@wildcat48 (779)
• United States
25 Apr 09
Hey dragon54u,have you ever watched the movie "The Stand "I myself think its something like what is going on now.
2 people like this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
25 Apr 09
The Stand is one of the few movie adaptations that didn't disappoint me! That was a great movie, and I've read the book twice. Yes, it's possible that's what is going on and it is eerily similar, isn't it? Have you read "Cell", also by Stephen King? A signal through cell phones turns people into zombies with all the ensuing intrigue and mysterious plots. I remember thinking all through the book how possible it would be! A lot of people would think you and I were crazy but I think your idea is valid. How else could 3 strains of flu join up like this, especially 3 who affect different species?
2 people like this
• United States
25 Apr 09
Well,it real did happen .They pick a town in the east and they try out some of their germ war fair out on them.How else do the know its works.I read all of kings books.
2 people like this
@pyewacket (43903)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Oh--just had to chime in here....LOL I have to admit I'm not a real big Stephen King fan but did read his "Cell" which creeped me out. Something like that in real life could be all too easy to happen in reality...just get the right frequencies of waves and transmit them via the cell phone system and bingo..instant zombies. One real reality is that countries like China and Russia are tapping in our electric grid system
1 person likes this
@cream97 (29087)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Hi, dragon54u! I am glad that you posted this discussion! I myself believe that someone is behind this plague! It is odd that people can just catch the Flu right under our noses. I believe that someone is using something to radiate this illness to spread. I will take as much steps to avoid this illness as much as possible. I really don't know all of the side effects just yet, but you best believe that I will be taking exreme precaution against this illness. Something is amist here, and someone that is scientifically smart should get to the bottom of it. I do know that the pigs were in infected with it, and human cells were visible in the bloodstream. So, I am thinking, how in the world is that possible??? Someone is contaminating the pigs and using cells from an humans body to make this illnesss widespread. That what makes me really believe that someone is behind this. It is scary and I hope that it does not spread. Protecting ourselves seems the only safe plan that we can implement.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Exactly my point! Originally people could only get it from pigs and couldn't pass it on to other humans. I guess I see the worst case scenario in this but I hope it doesn't come true. Hey, haven't you been starting any discussions? I have my notifications turned on and yet I never get any emails saying you started any.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
27 Apr 09
I'll try turning your notify off and then on again, maybe that will wake it up! I'm going tomorrow to get Emetrol, which stops vomiting, and electrolyte replacement drinks with vitamins just in case I get the stuff. And some anti-diarrhea medicine. I've heard that Monday will see medical offices overrun with the fearful and emergency rooms full. I think this virus is manufactured. That's what's scary. I'll check your profile tomorrow, too and catch up with you!
@cream97 (29087)
• United States
26 Apr 09
I agree with you on this one. This is something that needs investigating! Yes, I have started some discussions. Last week. I have about 6 discussions that I started last week. I am unsure why you are not getting any email notifications letting you know that I started any discussions. You can check my profile to see the discussions that I have started last week. I have not been at myLot for about 4 days as of today. I was having extreme WiFi Internet access from where I am located. I had to go to McDonald's yesterday to use their services for me to get onto the Internet. I am sorry that you are not receiving any of my email notifications. I hope that you will soon be.
1 person likes this
@peavey (16936)
• United States
25 Apr 09
I'm not really scared of it. I read that it hasn't killed the old, infirm people or infants. That sounds like the bird flu of 1918. It wasn't the flu itself that killed as much as it was the body's defense of it (fever, congestion, etc). But it's too early to tell whether it's really going to be a problem, or something that sweeps through and is gone, with few deaths. Our living situation is different here from Mexico besides the level of health care and response time, so at this point, no, I'm not afraid.
1 person likes this
@peavey (16936)
• United States
26 Apr 09
"it's affecting young healthy people more than anything and that is really strange" That's exactly what I mean. Healthy people's bodies react vigorously to the virus, and that's what causes trouble. It was the same with the 1918 bird flu that killed so many. But it's yet to be seen whether this will be as serious as the media makes it out to be. They always have to have something to scare people with.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
25 Apr 09
I did hear that Tami-Flu works on it. The thing is, it's affecting young healthy people more than anything and that is really strange. The WHO has mobilized a committee to study the effects and they say it's possible it could turn into a pandemic. I'm not worried except for my sons, who are going to college in Arizona which is a border state overflowing with illegals from Mexico.
@siZidni (1860)
• Indonesia
26 Apr 09
i know very little information about this kind of flu. here we call it as flu babi (pig) it's combination from flu in human and flu from the pig. well, is it really dangerous or it's just like the normal flu we have already?
1 person likes this
@siZidni (1860)
• Indonesia
27 Apr 09
where does it come from for the 1st time? i hope the virus doesn't work in area with hot temperature. like the avianz virus it doesn't work well in indonesia. since it can't stay long in the hot air.
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Apparently it's very dangerous. Normal flu strikes young children and old people the worst, yet this one is not. Some old and young are getting sick but mostly it is healthy young adults. People are dying from it in Mexico and it's spreading over their border into the U.S. We have many cases here now. I hope it does not go global.
1 person likes this
@bellis716 (4799)
• United States
27 Apr 09
I do believe that it is a natural occurrence. Some have likened it to the flue outbreak during world war I. Public health officials are taking it very seriously. Public meetings have been canceled or postponed, including regularly scheduled church services. On the 5 o'clock news, it was announced that every school in our school district is closed for at least one week.
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
27 Apr 09
You must be in one of the affected states? I can't believe the two countries are not restricting travel. This could be a real mess if it's not contained. How can flu strains that affect 3 different species combine without human help? That's why I'm suspicious. I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying I think it had some help. I hope it is contained here as well as Mexico. Those poor people in Mexico have it rough enough without this crap.
@bellis716 (4799)
• United States
27 Apr 09
Yes, I live in Texas, just 20 miles from the Port of San Antonio. On the local news, it was announced that it was travel as usual at the San Antonio International airport, with one exception - to and from Mexico. They did not elaborate, so I don't know if travel to and from Mexico has been curtailed or not.
1 person likes this
• United States
25 Apr 09
I thought only pigs got swine flu or those that ate pork but after doing a little research I've discovered that humans can be affected too. I live on the east coast of the united states so it's not something too many are worried about. I'm already a bit of a fanatic when it comes to washing my hands and things of nature due to other outbreaks around here. I will continue doing what I have been to protect myself along with going 'green' - my daughter suffers from terrible allergies which I know is linked to some environmental factor like most strains and the like. I'm hoping this 'green' thing will work and keep the both of us happy. For some reason, the swine flu is making me think of mad cow disease...hmm I'll have to do a bit more reading on this for sure.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Humans get it from live pigs, not from eating pork-at least not from what I've read. Humans couldn't spread it until now, only pigs could, but that has changed. There are cases in New York state now. Tami-Flu will work in the first 48 hours. Sorry about your daughter's allergies, I know it is miserable. If not for that I'd tell you to quit avoiding all germs and let your body's immune system get strong. People who avoid all contaminations compromise their immune systems and weaken it since it has nothing to fight. But with your daughter's allergies, I can understand your caution.
• United States
26 Apr 09
Since reading your post, I'm seeing all kinds of news on the swine flu now!!I had no idea..I've just read gov't officials are preparing for this as if it were a serious hurricane. This is alarming..I've got to do some more digging on this..
@ronaldinu (12422)
• Malta
26 Apr 09
NO I am not at all. Maybe Mexico seems so far away from my island... but up till now I am not alarmed about the swine flu scare.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Since you are on an island, you have less to fear. The WHO is afraid it could be a pandemic so I hope your officials take steps to prevent it coming to your area.
@suspenseful (40193)
• Canada
26 Apr 09
I am not scared of it. I had my flu vaccination but it could be a flu variety that jump species just as I am certain that AIDS virus did. I wonder with all the genetic engineering feeding cattle grain products mixed with meat by products has made it easier to this to occur. I do not know if it is a biological attack, but if it is, well who is doing it?
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
A few years ago, we could blame a biological attack on Al Queda but now it could be anyone. I would much prefer that we find out it is naturally occurring but 3 strains, 2 of which are animal, is just too bizarre to be natural in my eyes. If you do get flu symptoms, get some Tami-Flu-it is said to work.
@carolscash (9492)
• United States
26 Apr 09
I just heard about the outbreak of this flu today. I am not sure of what I think about it. I feel that a lot of these virus's are caused by a lot of the chemicals that we put in our bodies with food, cleaning supplies, etc. It is sad and we need to think about what we will do if it does strike a nationwide attack.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
The World Health Organization (WHO) is worried about a pandemic, which means it would go around the globe. It's a pretty serious flu, evidently. I agree that we have wreaked havoc with all the hormones, additives and stuff we put in our food and stuff. We need to get away from all that but first we would have to get rid of greed.
@pyewacket (43903)
• United States
26 Apr 09
I only briefly heard about this on the news and would have to look it up more, but the idea of 3 flu viruses merging wouldn't be too outlandish...mutations, usually stronger strains of virus and bacteria are occurring all the time which is why you now have many viruses resistant to antibiotics,like that MRSA virus that started in all places....hospitals! Sometime back there was a report that wasn't made out to the general public how they were planning to aerial spray parts of the US-Mexico border with one of the worst and deadly toxic herbicides going..and both sides would have been affected by it and god knows what health problems that could trigger and would also affect all the wildlife there...have to see if I can find an update on it....the govt kept it real hush, hush--did a whole discussion about this. as for our government "experimenting" on us..take a lot at this LONG listing....our govt has been experimenting on its citizens from as far back as 1900 http://www.chemtrails911.com/docs/human_experiments.html (Warning: NOT a referral link but to an article) As for getting flu shots...nope. Back in the 1980s was a swine flu scare. My mother knew a woman whose daughter got the shot...whatever happened the daughter became a wheelchair bound vegetable and due to that shot....those vaccines can actually do MORE harm than good and many of the flu vaccines still contain thermisol which is mercury...nice, huh? Other ingredients in vaccines include formaldehyde and Gardasil contains roach killer. Sheesh. All I know is that when my mother didn't get the flu shot, she was fine..the two times she did get it....guess what? She got the flu and led her getting pneumonia---have I ever had a flu shot? NOPE...haven't had the flu since I was eleven
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
I have never had a flu shot and hope I never do. I'm naturally suspicious at what the government puts in those injections. I'm naturally suspicious of anything the government does! Your mention of spraying was the first I've heard about it but I am familiar with the controversy on chemtrails from jets. I've read reports of flu shots being connected with Alzheimer's and I'm absent minded enough already. This new flu is weird, I've never heard of human and animal strains connecting and growing.
@coffeegurl (1467)
• United States
26 Apr 09
I hear 'ya Dragon loud n clear thru the winder to the walls. And after channeling George Clinton, I have to say that yes, while checking my yahoo email, I was really alarmed after reading the new headlines that it has already reached the NYC high school. Now just 2 days ago they were saying that travel was OK b/w airports and that they were not preventing travel b/w nations. Um....wtf? Who knows. I did read that swine flu usually goes away in hogs, and the only poeple affected are usually those with contact in the pig industry. Hmmm, I just got done mediating at a Qigong convention, to be alarmed at lunch break to the headlines. Hmm reality check. Oy!
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
27 Apr 09
Winder! You must've read my discussion on misspelling and I haven't seen your reply or already forgot-that's what happens when you hit 55! Normally, you only get it from pigs. This new strain is contagious human to human and mixes 3 viruses that have always been pretty species specific. Scary, to me. I'm in Ohio and just heard a 9 year old here in the state contracted it when visiting Mexico recently. He went to school while he was ill, so I expect there will be more. It's insanity not to restrict travel and to have a border like a sieve. I do not understand this government--no administration wants our borders policed at all! I have nothing against the Mexicans, they are wonderful people for the most part. But I don't like illegal immigration and I don't want them bringing disease or our citizens going down there and bringing it back. We've had increasing cases of TB, too, which saw an increase as illegal border crossings grew.
@opalina143 (1240)
• Morristown, New Jersey
26 Apr 09
I for one am very worried about the swine flu, and the fact that it is NY now, just down the road from me, basically. I am going to stock up on food and supplies so that I can stay in my apartment for a long time if it gets really bad. I feel like this could go global and kill millions of people like in the 1917 outbreak if it isn't controlled. The flu is killing people age 20-40 and that is exactly how that other outbreak, which killed millions, started.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Oh, I didn't know that the 1917 strain targeted younger people. That's what this one is doing. It's always good to have a stash of food, WATER, and basic supplies. Don't forget to buy up some bottled water. I buy it on sale and have nearly 100 bottles in my basement in case the water supply is compromised by natural disaster or other stuff. You might as well give up if you don't have a water supply. Tami-Flu is effective on this virus. I'm not sure if you need a prescription but be sure to know where you can get it if you get sick. It's effective in the first 48 hours.
@moneymommy (3418)
• United States
25 Apr 09
Yes its pretty scary. I think I may have had it in the 70s and ended up with pnemonia for a month. I was just a kid then and I was always told I had the swine flu.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
So you were around pigs back then? Up till now humans could only get it from pigs. Now that it's combined with bird and human flu, we're passing it around from person to person and the pigs aren't needed to spread it.
@HelloMickey (1655)
• Hong Kong
26 Apr 09
I faced SARS in 2003, so once I heard about the swine flu, I can only think of protecting myself from it by keeping my personal hygeine more seriously. I really hope this disease would not spread like SARS before, hope every one would be fine.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
27 Apr 09
I really do hope it's a false alarm and it's a very small occurrence. I also hope it is arrested in Mexico. Those poor people have it tough enough without dealing with something like this. I just our countries would both restrict travel like reasonable people would expect.
@alokn99 (5717)
• India
27 Apr 09
I did read about this breaking out into a possible epedemic which could cost the nations something around $3 trillion to control. How scared or how true the information is , i think time will tell.
@uath13 (8192)
• United States
27 Apr 09
Sure it's a biological attack - by mother nature herself. Look at all the natural disasters & freaky weather we've been having. We've pissed her off & she's fighting back.
@Archie0 (5651)
25 Apr 09
Yes today only i heard of swine flu thing. but i am not much worried as i dont eat pork. i have never tasted it and dont think i will even taste it ever. I am just a fan of chicken i just love it yes i was a bit worried in between when it came to bird flu sometimes back, but yes this swine flu is obviously i have heard for the first time, hope everyone out here take extra care before cooking them.
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
You don't get it from eating pork. It is passed from pigs to their human keepers and not by the meat or other humans. But this strain has combined with bird flu and human so that people infect one another. You can get it by walking down the street. That is what is so strange about it.
• United States
25 Apr 09
I hope that I do not come across as being "uppity" (because that is not my intention), but no, it does not scare me because I do not eat swine. The meat from a pig is not a part of my diet. :-) I was raised "swine free" and only eat fish, chicken, and beef. By the way, do you know what causes swine flu? This seems like a really serious outbreak. :-)
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
Swine flu is passed back and forth between pigs all year and it doesn't have much effect on them. Their "owners" catch it, though, and up till now the only way to get the swine flu was from direct exposure to the pigs. Now it's combined with the bird and human flu and humans are spreading it. Very strange. You don't sound uppity when you say you don't eat swine. Lots of people don't. The Old Testament directed the Jews to avoid cloven-hoofed beasts and there was a good reason for that--pork doesn't keep well and if it sits out even a short time you can get diseases that will kill you, especially back then.
• United States
25 Apr 09
I agree with you on the conspiracy theory of it. When I first heard it, I thought, "There goes the government again".
1 person likes this
@dragon54u (31636)
• United States
26 Apr 09
But which government? I can't discount that it may be occurring naturally but it was so sudden and spread so fast that I'm suspicious--I just don't know who to direct my suspicions to!
@rebelann (112126)
• El Paso, Texas
5 Apr 20
How funny that now in 2020 there are people saying the same thing about Corona 19 except this one didn't start in Mexico.